Around 180,000 meals are produced daily for children in schools in Northern Ireland.
Meals are served to children of all ages from nursery to post primary and for those pupils attending special schools. In addition there is a catering provision to staff both in schools and out centres.
School food is designed to offer children a variety of nutritious lunches that include familiar favourites, as well as tempting new tastes to try. Meals are freshly cooked in schools each day using seasonal ingredients offering healthy varied menus which encourage children to “try something new today” and appreciate good food.
Each school has its own arrangements in place to support pupils in making healthy food choices and to help them with the practicalities of lunchtime so that they can fully enjoy their meals.
Benefits of school food:
- A freshly prepared nutritious meal;
- Value for money;
- More convenient than a packed lunch;
- A social opportunity to eat with others;
- Prepared by a local team of staff;
- The ability to cater for special dietary requirements;
- Availability of vegetarian options.
Courtesy of the Education Authority – Northern Ireland.
Find out more here